Saturday, March 12, 2016

Called

Paul, called by the will of God to be an apostle...
-- 1 Corinthians 1:1


Paul was called by God to do what he did, to be who he was. He was knocked off the back of a donkey, faced a blinding light and heard a mysterious voice from the sky. His calling was literal. And it was dramatic to say the least.

From its inception, Paul's calling defined his life. His calling empowered and emboldened him. Paul's life was anything but easy, and it was his calling that kept him on track, that pushed him onward, that helped him to endure.

It's Saturday morning and I'm headed to the gym, so I'll get to the point:

 You and I are no less called. 

It may not be to preach to philosophers on a Grecian hill, or to write chapters of the Bible. But we are called. 

God has uniquely gifted each one of us for his specific purposes and plan. We are called. Often we are the last to see it. It may be that those around you are impacted by your graciousness or giving; maybe it is your kind acts of service or the way you apply truth in difficult situations (for example). You may be changing lives without even knowing it.

That is the nature of living out a calling. It is a part of who we are. It is the way God has wired us and empowered us in redemption. Our calling flows when we trust and rely on God.

I have overused this quote, but it rings true:

You are who you are because of the Master Artist 
who put you together. -- Malcom Smith

Toward the end of his life Paul wrote to his friend:
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, 
I have kept the faith. -- 2 Timothy 4:7

That is calling. That is living life on purpose (and with purpose). And that is my desire. 

God, you have called me and as Isaiah responded so do I... "Here I am, send me."

For now...
D

No comments:

Post a Comment