Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Weak...

Jesus said, "Truly... one of you will betray me..." They began to be sorrowful and to say to him one after another, "Is it I?" Peter said to him, "Even though they all fall away, I will not. If I must die with you, I will not deny you." And they all said the same. 
And he (Jesus) he said to Peter, "The spirit indeed is willing but the flesh is weak." 
-- Mark 14, selected verses



This morning I feel weak in both body and spirit. Maybe at times you do too.

Peter boasted about his strength. He made promises he wouldn't keep. His spirit was willing, but his flesh was weak.

We can relate.

It is encouraging to remember however, that it was Peter who, after a fish breakfast on the shore with the risen Jesus, became the pillar of strength to the others. It was Peter who preached the first "Christ is Risen" message (to a large crowd - technically an angel and Mary Magdalene were first with the news). It was Peter who became one of the two foundations of the early church.

Peter failed again and again - willing spirit, weak flesh. But Peter also walked on water (I haven't). Peter preached at Pentecost. Peter reached and influenced thousands, actually multiple millions.

This was the guy who couldn't stay awake in a garden to support Jesus. This was the denier.

His spirit was willing, but his flesh was weak.

Jesus can work with a willing spirit.


God, give me a willing spirit. I'll let you deal with my weaknesses...

For now...
D

No comments:

Post a Comment