Sunday, April 17, 2016

ACT LIKE MEN...

...stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. 
-- 1 Corinthians 16:13

I can vividly picture in my mind a full-page illustration from the first Bible I owned as a child. A menacing and armored giant of a man with a scowl and raised sword loomed over a much smaller young man. The simple young man, with an undeterred - and unimpressed - expression had a resolution that spoke of confidence and courage.

Obviously, the illustration was of the epic, though brief, battle between David and Goliath.

The fact is that Goliath, at nine feet tall, and with hundreds of hand-to-hand kills under his belt, had zero chance. David had weaponry that Goliath couldn't defend. David had courage that Goliath had never faced. David had faith that made Goliath minuscule.

David ... stood firm in the faith, he acted like a man, he was strong.  (To this day multitudes of baby boys are named David, I can only think of groupers named Goliath.)

Paul wrote (and lived), "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," (Philippians 4:13). And though there is a specific context to the verse, there is also a universal principle at work:

What God calls us to...
He empowers us for.
(and I am perfectly aware of ending subsequent phrases with prepositions)

The plain truth is there exists a desperate void when it comes to Christian men. Real Christians... Real men! There exists a need in the church and the world for true men of faith and action. Bold men who, when called upon stand before undefeated giants with sling in hand. Men who ...stand firm in the faith, act like men, are strong. 

God, count me in, and strengthen my heart.

For now...
D


No comments:

Post a Comment