Saturday, June 11, 2016

STUMBLING

Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling...
--Jude 24

The older I get, the more stumbling hurts. I stuck my toe in some deep carpet while walking through a convention hall this week. The resulting stumble was minor - imperceptible to anyone who might have been watching - but the back pain was immediate and lasting.

Stumbling hurts. And though I am being literal at the moment, it is also true metaphorically. Stumbling brings pain into our lives, and often to those around us.

Here is the problem: We all stumble in life; missed steps and missteps, bobbles and trip-ups that don't usually result in full face-plants. But they are painful nonetheless. We casually gather ourselves, look around to make sure no one noticed, and limp away as gracefully as we can muster.

When we stumble, it is not due to a lack of willpower (and I am speaking of life/faith stumbles). We stumble due to a lack of relationship.

There is One who goes before us, who walks with us, who shows the way. He is a light to our path and a compass to our course. He points out the rocks and roots (and carpet monsters) that might catch our feet. But we must follow him. Striking out on our own will lead to stumbles... and pain.

God, direct my footsteps according to your word (Psalm 119:133), that I might not stumble.

For now...
D

No comments:

Post a Comment