Sunday, May 1, 2016

HANG ON... STAY WITH ME... JUST A LITTLE LONGER...

The prayer of a righteous person has great power...     -- James 5:16

Prayer is much like exercise. Both are things we tend to talk a lot about. The execution however, the doing, usually lags behind.

There is no way to dodge an uncomfortable truth: we practice what we believe. Everything else is just talk.

None of us needs a shovel full of guilt heaped upon us. And that is not my intention. So before you tune out let me just say, hang on... stay with me ... just a little longer... 

We have good intentions. There are things we want to be more diligent about in our lives. The doing has just lagged behind. Maybe, like exercise, we've tried to pray. And I'm not just talking about canned prayers over meals; but really pray. After all, the true purpose of prayer is to know God (see THE POINT OF PRAYER; April 27). We begin strong, but are easily distracted or discouraged. Why? Because we expect immediate results. We want instant gratification. And with prayer (like exercise), we miss the point.

The victory is in the doing. 
The power is in the practice. 

And in the doing of prayer, we have a personal trainer - the Holy Spirit - who says, "Hang on... stay with me... just a little longer..." 

The results won't come. 
The results are!

You are righteous! Not because of you, but because of the One who calls you His! And according to James, because you are righteous, your prayer has great power!

So: 
Hang on... stay with me ... just a little longer... 

God, more importantly than practicing what I preach, help me to pray what I preach.

For now...
D






No one prays alone, no one suffers alone, no

No comments:

Post a Comment